no images were found
no images were found
The Antioch Baptist Church
One of the oldest Protestant Churches in the Ville, Antioch Baptist was organized in March, 1878, in the home of Brother William Coker and his wife, Laura, in Elleardsville. By 1880 the congregation had moved to a frame building on Lambdin Avenue near Kennerly Avenue. Rev. Fred Johnson was the first to be chosen to serve as pastor of Antioch. He served two years with Rev. Simon P. Anderson as his assistant.
Rev. Simon P. Anderson became the second pastor of Antioch in 1880. On May 6, 1984, the church was incorporated as Antioch Baptist Church of St. Louis, Missouri and was granted the powers of a religious corporation under the laws of the State of Missouri. Rev. John Henry Oden was called to succeed Rev. Anderson as the third pastor. Rev. Fredrick McKinney became the fourth pastor in 1892. He served the church until 1904. Rev. Anderson assumed the role of pastor for the second time in 1904. In 1907 Dr. William Lucas Perry became Antioch’s sixth pastor. Rev. Perry rekindled the souls of the membership and under his leadership the church experienced unprecedented growth. As a result the church negotiated with and purchased the Good Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church located at Goode and North Market, the church’s present location. Rev. James E. Cook accepted the call to pastor Antioch on April 19, 1946. He was the seventh pastor of Antioch and served for fifteen (15) years. Under his guidance the church erected the Christian Education Building and continued its growth in membership and programs, especially in the areas of youth and children’s programs. Rev. William Collins Jr. was the eight pastor of Antioch Baptist Church. Among his many accomplishments were the establishment of the James E. Cook Scholarship Fund and Day Nursery, the spiritual enrichment of the Lenten and Revival services, and the building of the new sanctuary. Rev. Collins was the shepherd of the Antioch Baptist Church from 1961 until his retirement in 2008 celebrating more than 44 committed dedicated years of service. Rev. Dr. F. Delano R. Benson Jr. was called by God to be the Senior Pastor of Antioch Baptist Church in August of 2008. Pastor Benson preached his first sermon as the pastor on Sunday, October 16, 2008. He is committed to helping to save souls, changing lives and impacting the community and nation. He is the ninth pastor of Antioch.
For more than 130 years Antioch Baptist Church has been committed to saving souls, reaching the unchurched, serving as a beacon of light in the community, drawing people for worship, promoting cooperation among our membership as one body in Christ, and promoting the Kingdom of God on Earth remains steadfast.
Antioch Baptist Church is a member of several denominational associations which include Antioch Baptist District Association; Missionary Baptist State Convention of Missouri; National Baptist Convention USA; American Baptist Churches, USA; American Baptist Churches of the Great Rivers Region; and the World Council of Churches.